Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Changing lifestyle is hard work, rewarding

Roberta M. Helming: Changing lifestyle is hard work, rewarding
By ROBERTA M. HELMING
For the Norwich Bulletin
Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 11:50 PM
Last update Dec 30, 2010 @ 01:01 AM

It’s that time of year again to make those New Year’s resolutions, and again this year, resolving that this time you really mean it.

Among the most popular resolutions are weight loss and exercise — lofty goals but too often never brought to fruition. I think people are sincere in making the pledge, but it is hard work.

For starters, “diet” is a four-letter word that means “long-term commitment.” We generally like more instant gratification for our efforts.

Miracle or fad diets, losing 20 pounds in 20 days by eating grapefruits all day or taking diet pills can be unhealthy and rarely sustain weight loss.

In 2007, I began a weight loss program at Miriam Hospital in Providence, a weekly commitment with a group led by a psychologist. We learned to control eating with proper and healthy portions. We met regularly with an exercise physiologist learning about exercising based on individual levels of fitness, mobility and health concerns.

It gave me a better understanding of healthy eating and the importance of exercise. That understanding helped me keep the weight off for more than a year. But, when I was no longer involved in the program, and personal difficulties arose, I sought out “comfort” food and gained a lot of my weight back.

I haven’t given up, still determined to take what I’ve learned and start over.

Weight loss and maintenance is a lifelong process, a lifestyle change. Eating healthy and using portion control is difficult. A treat on occasion isn’t forbidden, it’s a good thing that helps you avoid feelings of being deprived and discouraged.

Build up

My approach to exercise is to start with two minutes at a time and build from there. It’s a habit that needs to take root and then be built upon. Any incidental walking, such as grocery shopping or going to the mall, is also exercise. You need to think in those terms. Parking farther away from the stores helps, as does avoiding elevators.

Make it fun. On my treadmill, I’m “walking” around the United States. I’ve already “walked” to Minneapolis on my way to Astoria, Ore., a beautiful coastal town.

I wish everyone who has a goal to lose weight in the new year the best. Be kind to yourself. If you falter, forgive yourself, but don’t give up. Pick yourself up and give it another try.

It’s a difficult path, but one where successes feel good. Relapses aren’t collapses, and regardless, love yourself for trying.

And before starting, consult your physician to make sure it’s something you can do.

Roberta M. Helming is a freelance writer from Ledyard and regular contributor to the Norwich Bulletin. She can be reached at RMHelming@aol.com.

Copyright 2010 Norwich Bulletin. Some rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment