Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Potential Money Pit?

My husband and and I don't understand why we have not received a note/email addressing our visit from Connecticut to Tennessee for the sole purpose of touring the Brookhaven Retreat. This lack of correspondence is highly unprofessional. There main concern appears to be purely and only about the money.  What do they do that is worth  $1300 a day? I don't know - even having visited there.
 
We were prepared to pay $234,000 for single room treatment for 90 days.  And because I wanted a private room - the norm is to share a room - I was going to have to pay $234,000 versus the sharing rate of $117,000 and they weren't able to show me a room . . . go figure.It seems like a lot of money to spend for a retreat that has not emailed us once . As  a business women, I thank people for coming across town to consider doing business with me. We travelled 900 miles and received no acknowledgement. Do they even get what proper business etiquette is, as it pertains to Brookhaven Retreat? A brief note takes literally a couple of minutes and it is meaningful and shows care about potential clients and that it is not just money. Someone may not come to this facility now (after a visit) but they may in the future. Hence the need for some kind of follow-up.
 
I was not told that a woman who was blocking me on the left side of my body, while blocking the door so I apparently wouldn't leave was a therapist in disguise - since she didn't introduce herself. I didn't learn of her status as a therapist until I was blocked (door shut) in an observation room. I was tricked. As someone who has no active emotional issues, mainly childhood PTSD fear with NO substance abuse problems, she had a legal obligation to identify her occupation to me. I came to visit from the perspetive of having fear and didn't need to be observed. I came for a visit with a MD and wasn't inclined to unnecessarily see a PhD.
 
The conduct of bringing this therapist into my visit was out-of-line and heavy handed, since at the last minutes of my visit I was told she was "my therapist." I wasn't even in the program yet and had not even decided to actually do the program. And when they took me to "my" observation room, there was a sign with my name on it already on the door - presumptuous indeed - personified.
 
It was in the observation room where we were asked on what day we were going to wire $234,000 and that we needed to act quickly as rooms were filling up.
 
I have the right not to reveal  anything regarding my mental issues to anyone including anyone at this facility. My behavior was professional and proper. Fortunately, I have these therapist all figured out and she didn't obtain any confidential information by her back door attempt.
 
And why were we told there were no men at this facility when the first person we met at the facility was a man is beyond me? I was assured there were no men before I journeyed 900 miles one way.
 
The apparent goal of Brookhaven Retreat is to get a minimum of $117,000 out of you and lure you into a program for which you receive a basic tour and know very little about the actual structure and how your own case will be handled. An example: This back door therapist I was tricked into dealing with should show what is really going to go on in this program - a lot of behind the back actions.
 
Unless your willing to be treated like you have mental illness, when just looking to polish a few skills, this isn't the place for you. The first thing you do is get treated like a rat under five days of observation to make sure you're not a threat. I personally refused that unnecessary procedure, as well as their heavy handed in-your-face approach to obtaining their "wired" money.
To Brookhaven Retreat: Take the sign down on the observattion door - the one with my name on it. Your kind of care is far, far too inapprpriate for me. I have columns to write - scholarly writing to complete advocacy work to do, work with my local veterans.
 
Roberta M. Helming

No comments:

Post a Comment